48 Random Facts About Japan
Would you like to know some interesting and crazy random facts about Japan that you would have never guessed? Japan is known for retaining its rich ancient culture and at the same time, they are also headliners in some of the most modern technology and fashion.
Such bizarre facts about Japan, make it a unique country. I am sure you are eager to find out more such random facts about Japan. So let’s get to it quickly and kick off the countdown.
1. There are total 18 Nobel Prize winners who have come from Japan.
2. Murasaki Shikibu was a Japanese novelist and poet who wrote the first novel, ‘The Tale of Genji’ in 1007.
3. Japan is home to the world’s oldest company operating since 578 AD. The company continued its operations until 2006.
5. The fortune cookie’s originated in early 19th century in Kyoto, Japan. They were then called ‘tsujiura senbei’.
6. Japan is popularly called as ‘Land of the Rising Sun’.
7. Japan houses a 2000 year old sacred shrine which is demolished and rebuilt every 20 years.
8. Japan is comprised of over 6800 islands.
9. The four largest islands that make up about 97% of Japan’s land area are Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyusha.
10. Hills and mountains cover about 70% land surface in Japan.
11. There are over 200 volcanoes in Japan.
12. Mount Fuji, the tallest mountain in Japan is believed to be an active volcano.
13. Seikan Tunnel in Japan is the world’s longest and deepest railroad tunnel spanning over 53.85 km.
14. Out the entire land area in Japan, only 18% is suitable for habitation.
15. Japan experiences an average of about 1,500 earthquakes every year.
16. There are more than 1,600 temples in Kyoto, Japan.
17. Rabbit Island in Japan is the island where rabbits rule.
18. Japan houses the world’s largest fish market namely Tsukiji Market.
19. Japan does not have an official language. Most of the people in the country speak Japanese.
20. Japan does not have an official religion. However, locals primarily practice Shintoism and Buddhism.
21. Government rule in Japan is a unitary parliamentary democracy under a constitutional monarchy. Both Prime Minister and Emperor run the country.
22. Japan has the highest rate of eating disorder in the world.
23. Japan has 100% literacy rate.
24. Two favorite sports in Japan are Baseball and Sumo Wrestling.
25. The Japanese language has four different writing systems namely Katakana, Romaji, Hiragana and Kanji.
26. More than 50,000 people living in Japan are over the age of 100.
27. Average life expectancy in Japan is one of the highest in the world.
28. Japan is the 10th largest populated country in the world with the population of 127 million people.
29. The population in Japan is almost 98% Japanese and there are almost no immigrants in the country.
30. Japan’s nominal GDP is $4.939 trillion.
31. Japan’s per capita GDP is $38,894.
32. Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities to live in the world.
33. Japan is the largest automobile producer in the entire world.
34. The unemployment rate in Japan is below 4%.
35. Japan’s economy is highly influenced by ancient history. Then established transport networks, water routes, roads, etc. are still in use today.
Other Random Facts About Japan
36. Slurping your food, which is generally not considered good, is a symbol of complement to the chef in Japan. Slurping indicates that the dish is delicious.
37. Fanta soda is available in 70 different flavours in Japan.
38. The average delay of a Japanese train is just 18 seconds.
39. There is a highway that goes straight through a building in Japan. Yes, you read it correct!
40. Japanese police fire bright orange color paintball at fleeing vehicles so that other police vehicles can identify them easily.
41. Japan houses world’s shortest escalator, which has only 5 steps.
42. Japan being renowned all over for its well-organised systems, they grow square watermelons instead of round watermelons because they are easier to stack and store.
43. Japanese use around 24 billion sets of chopsticks annually.
44. The annual consumption of fish in Japan is about 17 million tons. Japanese eat the most fish out of any country in the world.
45. Rice is also heavily consumed in Japan. You will it growing throughout the country.
46. Late-night dancing was illegal in Japan till 2015.
47. There are more pets in Japan than children.
48. A lot of companies in Japan, allow sleeping time to employees.
Japan is truly an interesting country to learn about. I hope you have enjoyed reading these random facts about Japan. If yes, let me know in the comments below.
Other Country Facts – 48 Random Facts about Germany